Sunday, May 18, 2008

BOB Version 6: Conics

Haha I like Ben's creativity... Unfortunately, time isn't a luxury for me.

Anyways, this unit was nice and short, even though the unit had an emphasis on graphing. Once I was able to visualize the graph in my mind's eye--the expression that Mr.K likes using--graphing the graph made things a lot easier, including the origami portions of the unit as well.

Along with remembering the terms, remembering the equations of the circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola is a bit of a doozy, but mathematics is the science of patterns, and contrasting and comparing the formulas between the horizontal and vertical orientations really helped.

I really liked the shward fiasco, the horrible dubbing by DJ K, and his whole samurai act. We may have been fooling around excessively during that class--like what Benz says--but that's what gives this unit its uniqueness. (And maybe there's going to be more unique classes like that when we enter AP Calculus.)

There were some questions left unanswered though, like how golf is evidence that aliens visited our planet Earth and how the focus of the circle is infinity, but if time really isn't a luxury for us, then I guess it's understandable, seeing that THE PROVINCIAL EXAM IS ONLY 14 SCHOOL DAYS AWAY.

If I were to rate this unit, I would give it 5 stars, for being nice, short, unique, and fun.

P.S. Vote ZEPH for V.P.

No comments: